Saturday, October 1, 2016

#PoweredByIndie

This month, four of my books are being featured in Amazon's Powered by Indie and I'm so excited to be part of it. The books are Shiver, Vengeance, Tangled Mess, and Surviving the Biker (under my pen name of Cassie Alexandra).



 

Why do I enjoy being an Indie author?


A lot of people asked me why I remain Indie. It's not that I haven't ever been offered a traditional publishing contract. I have. Especially in the very beginning, after writing my Zombie Games series. But, after publishing twenty-nine books, I feel like I've accomplished a hell of a lot on my own and it's an exhilarating feeling.

Other reasons:

*I don't have to answer to anyone but myself. I am my own boss. For some writers it doesn't always work well. Yes, I still have deadlines and need to remain focused, but at the end of the day, I'm answering to myself. Whether I fail or succeed is in my hands.

* I can write what I want and when I want. In fact, I write several different genres, including horror, fantasy, romance, and YA. My pen names are Cassie Alexandra, K.L. Middleton, and Kristen Middleton.
*I'm leaving it up to the readers as to whether my books are enjoyable, and not someone at a publishing house who just might not "get" my writing. Not everyone is going to like my books. I respect that. But, I want to publish something that I've enjoyed writing and not get any road-blocks or forced to make plot or character changes.

*I am making the decisions on my book covers, my pricing, and where I want to sell my work. I can also hire my own editors, pay for my own advertising, and market the way that I want to market. I'm in charge and if I fail, I learn from the experience and move forward.

*I've motivated others to publish their own work. There are so many people out there who have wonderful stories to tell and do not realize that they can bypass a traditional publisher. Especially if they've been turned down. No, you might not be able to make a living on your self-published book, but on the other hand, if you do have a real talent for storytelling, you just never know what the future might bring.

Finally...

I've always loved reading, especially horror stories. From early on, I had my nose buried in Stephen King, Dean Koontz,  F. Paul Wilson, and Peter Straub's books. I can still remember how disturbed I was, at the young age of nine, after reading Ghost Story. To this day, I don't think I've ever read anything so creepy and fantastic. Now, over thirty years later, I'm writing and publishing my own books, which is something I would have never dreamed possible. It's a dream come true and if it wasn't for Amazon's self-publishing platform, I'd never be where I am today. I am so very grateful and honored to be included in Amazon's Powered By Indie this October. They have changed the writing industry and for me, it's been nothing but joy and success. 




No comments: